Thursday, January 15, 2015

Lions and snakes and fire, oh my!

The circus had been unlike anything I could ever imagine and I could not walk away. I wanted to be a part of the magic, create it and wield it with such skill that it looked effortless. I wanted to fly.
~Laura Lam


Lion tamer
Chromolithograph, Gibson & Co. (Cincinnati, Ohio), published c. 1873

Group of Circus Renz artists, with Carl Godlewski
by Christian Wilhelm Allers (1857–1915)

Gus Hill, circa 1880

Vintage illustration of a man in cage with snakes

Circus in Saska Kępa
Franciszek Kostrzewski (1826–1911)

Performer
shared by Chrysti

Marvellous High Wire Artists

Fire Fans
photo by Daniel Rusiłowicz


Links:
* Circus Physics
* Cut Paper Circus Lesson Plan
* Lesson plans using Saint-Saëns' Carnival of the Animals
* How to Do Circus Tricks
* How to Join the Circus

1 comment:

HWY said...


All very cool circus illustrations/photos. Really captures the excitement and allure.

I did notice that there were no clowns in these pieces. Isn't it interesting that clowns can be seen as menacing in such a friendly atmosphere?